Total Clock Hours: 350
CIP Code: 12.0413
Initiating College: Gateway Community College
Program Availability: Not Found
Program Availability: College-Specific
Program Availability: Shared by:
Field of Interest: Health Sciences
SOC Code: Upon completion of this program, students may pursue a career as:
25-1194.00 Career/Technical Education Teachers, Postsecondary
Description: Students will prepare to provide instruction for Nail Technician program students. Additionally, students will learn how to write and deliver a successful lesson plan, and will graduate from the program with the skills necessary for establishing and maintaining an effective classroom. Topics also include knowledge of laws pertaining to the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology, safety and sanitation, and state board regulations. Upon completing the Nail Technician Instructor program, students will be prepared to take the Arizona State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology`s Instructor Licensing Exam.
Program Notes: This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. Students must complete all required competencies and clock hours as well as receive a score of 80% or higher in the Cosmetology Instructor Program in order to be eligible to apply for a certificate of competency. However, a certificate of competency does not guarantee graduates are an instructor in any state. Students must pass the Arizona state board licensing exam in order to teach in Arizona. The Arizona State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology can deny an application should it be determined that a candidate does not meet the requirements for citizenship and/or high school education requirements. If students have any concerns about meeting these requirements, students are strongly encouraged to contact the Arizona State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology directly via its website: HTTPS://BOC.AZ.GOV, give full disclosure of the situation, and save any written response. GateWay Community College is not liable for graduates who do not receive an Arizona instructor license and will not give refunds for tuition and fees. Completion of this program is not a guarantee of employment.
Admission Criteria: None
Admission Criteria: 1. Must hold current Arizona Cosmetologist or Nail Technician license in good standing.
2. Must have one year of industry work experience.
Program Prerequisites: None
+ COS250 Instructor In Training Orientation 80
+ COS251 Instructor In Training I 135
+ COS252 Instructor In Training II 135
Clock Hours: 350
1. Identify the basic needs and demands on an effective classroom instructor. (COS250, COS251, COS252)
2. Demonstrate learned concepts through effective lesson plan creation. (COS250, COS251)
3. Describe learned concepts in theory, to successfully pass the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology`s Instructor Licensing Exam with 80% or better. (COS250, COS251, COS252)
4. Demonstrate teaching methods and classroom management in a live teaching setting, under the direction of a licensed cosmetology instructor. (COS251, COS252)
5. Implement various learning assessment methods in a live classroom and salon setting. (COS252)
6. Complete final theory and practical demonstration rubric, including lesson plan construction and written examination with an 80%, to be eligible for Arizona Board of Cosmetology certification and licensure. (COS252)
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the
curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.