Instructional Council: Allied Health (51)
SOC Code: 21-1091 Health Educators
Description: The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Community Dental Health Coordination (CDHC) program is designed to provide students with a practical and theoretical basis for assisting in the reduction of disparities in dental health. Program will cover advocacy, intercultural communication, and finance in addition to dental health coordination, documentation, and reporting procedures. Legal and ethical issues will also be covered.
Program Notes: Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses within the program.
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. + indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
Admission Criteria: Ability to fully participate in classroom, laboratory, and clinical setting program activities.
Complete and submit required MCCCD Non-Academic Allied Health Program Policy documents.
Submit current Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) Level One fingerprint card AND a supplemental background check.
Applicants who are accepted and enroll in the Community Dental Health Coordination (CDHC) program will be exposed to blood-borne and infectious diseases. The program strictly adheres to established policies and procedures regarding infection control as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Dental Association, The Organization for Safety and Asepsis Procedures, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Formal application and acceptance into the Community Dental Health Coordination program is required.
Program Prerequisites: None
Students must be a Registered Dental Hygienist or Certified Dental Assistant.
Applicants are required to provide documentation of licensure or certification according to their individual state`s dental practice act.
+ CDH105 Community Oral Health Project Planning 3
+ CDH110 Oral Health Communication 1
+ CDH115 Interviewing Skills for Dental Health Advocate 2
+ CDH130 Dental Health Legal and Ethical Issues 2
+ CDH240 Dental Care Finance 0.5
+ CDH245 Community Dental Health Coordinator Internship 3
1. Create and maintain social networks. (CDH105)
2. Develop and implement community based oral health prevention and promotion programs. (CDH105, CDH110, CDH115)
3. Demonstrate knowledge and skills required to collect diagnostic data. (CDH105, CDH115)
4. Explain the role of the Community Dental Health Coordinator (CDHC). (CDH105, CDH115, CDH240)
5. Create and maintain social networks. (CDH105, CDH245)
6. Demonstrate effective communication skills in the healthcare setting. (CDH110)
7. Review teaching and learning skills as they apply to the dental healthcare setting. (CDH110, CDH115)
8. Demonstrate effective communication skills in the healthcare setting. (CDH110, CDH245)
9. Describe major components of care/case management. (CDH115)
10. Review legal and ethical issues related to community dental health. (CDH130)
11. Explain CDHC responsibilities in the area of dental care finance. (CDH240)
12. Demonstrate the role of advocacy within the scope of practice of the CDHC. (CDH245)
13. Identify leadership skills within community members to improve oral health. (CDH245)
14. Assess and prioritize oral and general healthcare needs and assets of the community. (CDH245)
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
MCCCD Governing Board Approval Date: October 28, 2014
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the
curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.