Field of Interest: Computer and Information Technology
Instructional Council: Computer Information Systems (12)
SOC Code: Upon completion of this certificate students may pursue a career as:
15-1141 Database Administrators
Description: The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Database Development prepares students to design and implement the infrastructure for business solutions using database and programming tools. The program focuses on administrative tasks and building database applications using programming skills such as data collection, query techniques, and database creation. This certificate can embed into the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Information Technology.
Program Notes: Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
Courses within any of the following prefixes must be taken within five (5) years prior to completion of the program to be applied toward this award: AIM, BPC, CIS, CLD, CNT, CSC, ITS, and MST.
Program Prerequisites: None
CIS105 Survey of Computer Information Systems 3
CIS117DM Microsoft Access: Database Management (3) OR
+ CIS154 Database Modeling and Design (3) 3
+ CIS156 Python Programming: Level I (3) OR
+ CIS159 Visual Basic Programming I (3) OR
+ CIS162AD C#: Level I (3) OR
+ CIS163AA Java Programming: Level I (3) 3
+ CIS164AB Oracle: PL/SQL Programming (3) OR
+ CIS276DA MySQL Database (3) OR
+ CIS276DB SQL Server Database (3) 3
+ CIS217AM Advanced Microsoft Access: Database Management 3
+ CIS225AB Object-Oriented Analysis and Design 3
1. Solve business problems using the components of a database management system. (CIS105, CIS117DM, CIS119DO, CIS154, CIS164AB, CIS217AM, CIS276DA, CIS276DB)
2. Design a comprehensive data model using an entity-relationship (ER) diagram that reflects the business requirements. (CIS117DM, CIS119DO, CIS154, CIS217AM, CIS276DA, CIS276DB)
3. Create database structures to store, retrieve, and update data using SQL. (CIS105, CIS117DM, CIS119DO, CIS164AB, CIS217AM, CIS276DA, CIS276DB).
4. Write SQL procedures and functions to automate solutions to a variety of business problems. (CIS164AB, CIS217AM, CIS276DA, CIS276DB)
5. Develop programs using structured design and logic tools. (CIS150++, CIS156, CIS159, CIS162AD, CIS163AA)
6. Use programming language to solve a variety of business problems. (CIS105, CIS150++, CIS156, CIS159, CIS162AD, CIS163AA)
7. Evaluate business computer systems using appropriate object-oriented analysis and design methods. (CIS225AB)
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
MCCCD Governing Board Approval Date: February 25, 2020
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the
curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.