SOC Code: Upon completion of this certificate, students may pursue a career as:
13-1199.01 Energy Auditors
13-1199.02 Security Management Specialists
13-1199.03 Customs Brokers
13-1199.04 Business Continuity Planners
13-1199.05 Sustainability Specialists
13-1199.06 Online Merchants
Description: The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Small Business Management Level I program is designed to meet the needs of individuals who wish to own and/or manage a small business. Prepares students to acquire the skills, tools and knowledge necessary for successful start-up and operations of a business.
Program Notes: This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
Students must earn a grade of C or better required for all courses within the program.
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites
Program Prerequisites: None
EPS195 Business Start-Up and Planning (2) OR
+ SBS216 Planning for a Small Business (2) OR
MGT253 Owning and Operating a Small Business (3) 2-3
SBS200 Small Business Operations 2
SBS202 Small Business Bookkeeping and Tax Preparation (1) AND
SBS203 Financing and Cash Management for a Small Business (1) OR
SBS230 Financial and Tax Management for Small Business (2) 2
SBS204 Small Business Marketing and Advertising (2) OR
SBS220 Internet Marketing for Small Business (2) OR
MKT271 Principles of Marketing (3) 2-3
SBS213 Hiring and Managing Employees 1
SBS214 Small Business Customer Relations 1
1. Prepare a business plan and budget to develop a comprehensive action, operations, and strategic plans. (EPS195, MGT253, SBS200, SBS216)
2. Apply basic accounting, finance, and marketing principles in a small business environment. (MKT271, MGT253, SBS202, SBS203, SBS204, SBS220, SBS230)
3. Create and use effective oral, written, and visual business communication skills. (MKT271, MGT253, SBS200, SBS204, SBS213, SBS214, SBS220)
4. Describe effective staff planning, personnel cost control, and discipline methods. (EPS195, MGT253, SBS200, SBS213, SBS216)
5. Apply problem-solving processes to problems in small business daily operations. (EPS195, MGT253, SBS200, SBS213, SBS216)
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
MCCCD Governing Board Approval Date: May 28, 2019
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the
curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.