SOC Code: Upon completion of this certificate, students may pursue a career as:
27-4014.00 Sound Engineering Technicians
Description: The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Technical Theatre: Audio Technician is designed to prepare students to apply live sound reinforcement in theatre productions. Classes include instruction in live sound reinforcement, setting up equipment, and sound design for theatrical productions. A Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Technical Theatre and the Associate in Arts, Fine Arts (AAFA), Emphasis in Theatre are also available.
1. Demonstrate an understanding of audio signal flow. (MUC197, MUC198, THP201AA, THP201AB, THP202, THP202AB)
2. Demonstrate proper use of dynamic and time-based audio effects. (MUC122, MUC197, MUC198, THP201AB, THP202, THP202AB)
3. Demonstrate the setup, placement, care, and use of mics, speakers, monitors, and mixing consoles according to industry standards. (MUC197, MUC198, THP201AB, THP202, THP202AB, THP251)
4. Apply knowledge of various mic types and placement on actors. (MUC197, MUC198, THP201AB, THP202, THP202AB)
5. Apply audio mixing skills in a theatre production. (MUC122, MUC197, MUC198, THP201AA, THP201AB, THP202, THP202AB)
6. Demonstrate proper programming and use of an audio cueing system for theatrical use. (MUC122, THP201AB, THP202, THP202AB)
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. + indicates course has prerequisite and/or corequisite.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
Program Prerequisites: None
+ MUC122 Sound Design I 3
MUC197 Live Sound Reinforcement I 3
+ MUC198 Live Sound Reinforcement II 3
THP201AA Theatre Production I (1) OR
THP201AB Theatre Production II (2) OR
THP202 Theatre Production Projects (1) OR
THP202AB Theatre Production I Electrics (1) OR 1-2
THP251 Safety Practices in Theatre and Film Production 1
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
MCCCD Governing Board Approval Date: December 10, 2019
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the
curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.