Initiating College: Estrella Mountain Community College
Program Availability: Not Found
Program Availability: Shared
Program Availability: CG EM GC GW MC PC PV SC SM
Field of Interest: Computer and Information Technology
Instructional Council: Computer Information Systems (12)
SOC Code: Upon completion of this certificate, students may pursue a career as:
15-1211.00 Computer Systems Analysts
15-1231.00 Computer Network Support Specialists
15-1299.08 Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
Upon completion of an associate degree, students may pursue a career as:
15-1212.00 Information Security Analysts
15-1244.00 Network and Computer Systems Administrators
Description: The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Red Hat Linux Engineer program is designed to help prepare students for employment or to improve current professional skills. The program includes in depth Red Hat Enterprise Linux system networking including integrating Linux servers and workstations into a network environment with multi-platform network operating systems with a variety of open-standard and proprietary protocols. This program helps prepare students for the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification exams. Students who complete this program may seek employment in a variety of environments. Students can also pursue additional Certificates of Completion (CCL) in a variety of specializations within the information technology field to deepen their knowledge and skills and help prepare them for multiple industry certification examinations. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Network and Systems Administration is also available.
1. Create, manage, and delete user accounts, groups and permissions. (CIS126RH, CIS238RH, CIS240RH)
2. Apply troubleshooting techniques to prevent and address system issues. (CIS105, CIS126RH, CIS238RH)
3. Monitor system functions and security through the use of a variety of system tools and logs. (CIS105, CIS126RH, CIS238RH, CIS240RH)
4. Install and maintain software packages. (CIS105, CIS126RH, CIS238RH)
5. Describe and navigate the Linux file system hierarchy. (CIS126RH)
6. Create partitions and file systems, and manipulate access to them. (CIS126RH, CIS238RH, CIS240RH)
7. Demonstrate configuration and troubleshooting of Linux networking, including network protocols, client and server systems. (CIS126RH, CIS238RH)
8. Configure and troubleshoot Linux security, including permissions, SELinux, access control lists (ACLs), digital certificates, and firewalls. (CIS126RH, CIS238RH, CIS240RH)
9. Configure automation services. (CIS240RH)
10. Create and maintain shell scripts. (CIS238RH, CIS240RH)
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
Students who pursue this Certificate of Completion (CCL) should have a basic level of computer literacy including navigating the internet and computer systems or take CIS105 as indicated in the required courses. Students with the requisite skills may have the CIS105 requirement waived by permission of the Program Director.
Courses within any of the following prefixes must be taken within five (5) years prior to completion of the program to be applied toward this award: AIM, BPC, CIS, CLD, CNT, CSC, ITS, and MST.
This program replaces: CCL/5204N Linux Professional
Program Prerequisites: None
CIS105 Survey of Computer Information Systems (3) OR
Permission of Program Director (0) 0-3
CIS126RH Red Hat System Administration I 3
+ CIS238RH Red Hat System Administration II 3
+ CIS240RH Red Hat System Administration III 3
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
MCCCD Governing Board Approval Date: December 10, 2019
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the
curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.