|Program Learning Outcomes|
1. Engage and develop your curiosity of the natural world. (AST111, AST112, PHY115, PHY116, PHY121, PHY131)
2. Utilize laboratory equipment, telescopes, and software to gather data, observations, measurements in order to find patterns, correlations, and relationships related to our origins and place in the Universe and the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe. (AST111, AST112, [MA])
3. Clearly communicate scientific ideas to a diverse audience - qualitatively and quantitatively, in verbal, written, and visual formats, using an appropriate technical vocabulary. (AST111, AST112, PHY115, PHY116, PHY121, PHY131, (COM), [FYC], [HU], [L], [MA], [SB])
4. Implement a macro perspective to interpret, analyze, and engage with universal concepts. (AST111, AST112, PHY115, PHY116, PHY121, PHY131, [L], [FYC])
5. Critically assess problems using the principles, methodologies and perspectives of Astronomy. (AST111, AST112, PHY115, PHY116, PHY121, PHY131)
6. Evaluate published materials for scientific validity. (AST111, AST112, [FYC], [L])
7. Compare and contrast the perspectives of diverse societies and cultures. (AST111, AST112, [FYC], [L], [HU], [SB])
8. Demonstrate ethical practices in individual and collaborative work settings. (AST111, AST112, [L], [FYC], [HU], [MA], [SB])
9. Integrate and apply theory and observational data to develop solutions to societal problems. (AST111, AST112, [L], [FYC], [HU], [SB])
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses in the program.
+ AST111 Introduction to Solar System Astronomy 4
The requirements for the transfer plan below are fulfilled upon completion of Required Courses, AGEC Curriculum, and MCCCD Additional Requirements. If this is not your intended transfer institution, please consult with Maricopa and transfer university advisor(s) to identify coursework that is applicable to your intended transfer program.
|Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC)|
|A single course with an [HU], [SB], or [L] designation may also be used to satisfy the Oral Communication, Critical Reading, or Awareness Area ([C], [G] and/or [H]) requirement(s).
A single course with both the [HU] and [L] designations may be used to satisfy both of these areas.
A single course with both the [SB] and [L] designations may be used to satisfy both of these areas.
See the AGEC matrix on aztransfer.com for course designations.
|First-Year Composition [FYC]||Credits: 6|
|+ ENG101 First-Year Composition (3) OR
+ ENG107 First-Year Composition for ESL (3) AND
+ ENG102 First-Year Composition (3) OR
+ ENG108 First-Year Composition for ESL (3) 6
|Literacy and Critical Inquiry [L]||Credits: 0-3|
|Any approved general education course in the Literacy and Critical Inquiry [L] area. 3
Recommend selecting a course that satisfies [L] Literacy and Critical Inquiry and [SB] Social-Behavioral Sciences or [L] Literacy and Critical Inquiry and [HU] Humanities, Arts & Design or [L] Literacy and Critical Inquiry and (COM) Oral Communications or [L] Literacy and Critical Inquiry and CRE101 requirements simultaneously.
|Mathematics [MA]||Credits: 4-5|
|+ MAT220 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (5) OR
+ MAT221 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (4) OR
Higher approved general education course in the Mathematical Applications [MA] area for which MAT22+ is a prerequisite. (4-5) 4-5
|Computer/Statistics/Quantitative Applications [CS]||Credits:|
|Humanities, Arts and Design [HU]||Credits: 6|
|Any approved general education courses in the Humanities, Arts and Design [HU] area. 6
|Social-Behavioral Sciences [SB]||Credits: 6|
|Any approved general education courses in the Social-Behavioral Sciences [SB] area. 6
|Natural Sciences [SG]/[SQ]||Credits: 0|
|Met by (PHY115 OR PHY121) AND (PHY116 OR PHY131) in Required Courses.
|Subject Options||Credits: 0|
|Met by (MAT230 OR MAT231) AND (MAT240 OR MAT241) in Required Courses.
|Awareness Areas||Credits: 0-6|
|These requirements may be shared with other AGEC requirements. See the AGEC matrix on aztransfer.com for course designations.|
|Cultural Diversity in the US [C]||Credits: 0-3|
|Any approved general education course with the Cultural Diversity in the U.S. [C] designation. 0-3|
|Historical/Global Awareness [H]/[G]||Credits: 0-3|
|Any approved general education course with the Historical [H] or Global [G] awareness area designation. 0-3|
|MCCCD Additional Requirements|
|MCCCD Additional Requirements||Credits: 0-6|
|Some courses in this area have [SB] and [L] designations and may also be applied to the corresponding AGEC requirements. See the AGEC matrix on aztransfer.com for course designations.
|Oral Communication (COM)||Credits: 0-3|
|COM100 Introduction to Human Communication (3) OR
COM110 Interpersonal Communication (3) OR
+ COM225 Public Speaking (3) OR
COM230 Small Group Communication (3) 0-3
|Critical Reading (CRE)||Credits: 0-3|
|+ CRE101 College Critical Reading and Critical Thinking (3) OR
Equivalent as indicated by assessment (0) 0-3
Select additional courses 100-level or higher to complete a minimum of 60 semester credits but no more than a total of 64 semester credits. Consult with a faculty advisor, program director, and/or academic advisor to identify coursework that best aligns with academic and professional goals.
+ indicates course has prerequisites and/or corequisites.
++ indicates that any suffixed course may be selected.
MCCCD Governing Board Approval Date: June 22, 2021